Things you can do
Stuff you may read
They say there's a book inside everybody. Let the book out with Admanya blogs. Vent your feelings about anything that pops into your head. It might be rocket science or your neighbour's cat.
Start now! Its easy and fun!
A pitiful confession of a banawat mahatma
Posted by DannyM on 07 October 2011
(1) Mahatma Gandhi in a note in today's Harijan (26-8-39) answers the question why only prohibition is taken upon and such evils as
"satta" in the share market, gambling, cinemas and races have not been tackled.
(2) Mahatma Gandhi says that "these evils are serious and should be dealt with. But who will bell the cat?" he asks. "If I could have, I should have dealt with the lady long ago. I have my limitations. I have only recently shown that I am not so powerful as some people imagine."
"The drink evil has been recognised as such by the people of this land. But the other evils are more or less fashionable. If I led any agitation against the share gambling I should be in danger of losing some of my willing and regular donors. If I incited the people against the races and the internal gambling that goes on there, all the high personges from the Viccory downward would be up in arms against me. If I led a campaign against the cinemas, I should lose caste among educationists and reformers"
(3) "They have often sought to convert me by pledging that cinemas are a fine medium of education and that churches and reformers in the West give them their patronage in an over-increasing measure. Therefore if I treated these evils as I have treated the drink evil and if I began to organise picketing in respect of them, I should lose caste, lose my Mahatmaship, and even lose my head which of course has very little value at this time of my life. But as I do not wish to suffer the triple loss, I must allow my correspondent and others like him to think that I am shirking an obvious duty. I know the evils. I hope that great reformers than I will deal with them. For me one step is enough"
1. It is impossible to see if the Avatar of lying is joking or confessing. If the former, it is a pointless joke. If the latter, it is a pitiful and pitiable confession.
I shall lose my mahatmaship, lose my hush money and my claim to be
regarded as a reformer and an educationist.
2. The confession shows that he is a Banawat Mahatma, made to order by self-seeking sordidness, anxious for the bribe which gamblers pay him regularly; wooing the strong and cowardly kicking the weak, and posing as a cheap reformer and a shallow, and learned man out to win the claptrap of sinners and fools-altogether a despicable man without any principle except mean self-aggrandisement.
About this Blogger
Subscribe to DannyM's blogs
You can stay up to date with DannyM's blogs via these feeds.
DannyM's blogs Feed (RSS)
Latest Blogs by DannyM
Hot Blogs by DannyM
Latest Blog posts